Goals of reading in the first grade are:
- Invite children into the joy and benefit of reading.
- Begin building comprehension skills at the earliest level.
- Provide appealing practice of first grade skills.
- Build silent and oral reading habits that further fluency.
- Encourage parent participation in the learning process.
- Meet the needs of individual students.
The best approach to teaching children reading is a simple, logical phonics system, coupled with reading texts. Phonics is taught mainly by orally teaching and reviewing the phonics charts, flashcards, and clue cards. Students will memorize special sounds so they can quickly apply them to new words.
Most of the words in Spelling are arranged phonetically so students can recognize basic spelling patterns.
Upon completion of Language 1, students should have mastered the following skills:
- Write in complete sentences.
- Capitalize the first word of a sentence, the days of the week, and the months of the year.
- Place an end mark at the end of each sentence.
- Know and use suffixes and prefixes.
- Recognize work with rhyming words, opposite words, same-meaning words, compound words, and contractions.
- Alphabetize words.
- Write original sentences, paragraphs, and stories.
- Comprehend reading material on a first grade level or above.
In first grade Math we build upon concepts and lay the foundation for new ones. Our program encompasses:
- Place value
- Addition and Subtraction
- Problem solving
- Logical thinking
1st Grade at Victory Christian Academy utilized A Beka and BJU Press.
A Beka provides God-honoring, high-quality textbooks and teaching aids to help each school fulfill the goal of its ministry. The hundreds of traditional Christian educational materials developed by A Beka Book have been developed and refined over a period of 50 years in the classrooms of Pensacola Christian Academy. Christian schools throughout the nation recognize that A Beka Book sets the standard of excellence in the publishing of textbooks and other materials for Christian schools. www.abeka.com
BJU Press has developed a curriculum that blends factual knowledge and critical thinking skills with Biblical truth. Their materials help students not only to read, multiply fractions, and recognize grammar principles, but also to understand and evaluate what they read, solve problems, and write with conviction and clarity. They offer multiple approaches and activities in every lesson, allowing each teacher to address unique needs. BJU Press produces explicitly Christian texts with the best scholarship to help students learn to do critical analysis, to solve problems and to consider values in making godly choices in their lives. www.bjupress.com